What is a database manager? What do they do? Is it the right path for me?
What Is A Database Manager?
A database manager's duties include tasks like:
• Developing and maintaining organizations' databases
• Creating data storage and retrieval systems
• Troubleshooting database issues
• Implementing database recovery procedures and safety protocols
• Supervising the daily activities of database teams
What Is A Day Of A Database Manager Like?
A day of a database manager might look like this:
9:00am: Maintain database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls
9:30am: Train and manage junior staff in your team
10:30am: Set up and test new database and data handling systems
12pm: Lunch break
1pm: Develop protocols for data processing
1:30pm: Meetings with the team
2:30pm: Afternoon coffee
3:00pm: Complete information systems and organize results
4:00pm: Design and prepare reports for management
What is a database manager the least likely to do in a workday?
What Skills Does A Database Manager Need?
A database manager should have:
Strong analytical and organizational skills
Strong leadership skills
Understanding of SQL
Extensive knowledge of database architecture
But Will It Pay The Bills?
The average salary of a database manager in the United States (in USD) is $89,930 and the top 10% earn up to $132,420. The average hourly rate is $43.24.
You'll Love It If You...
• Like to edit or tweak a plan and build up from units
• Like to be in charge of goal-setting
• Like to work with numbers, charts, and tables
Which person might not have much fun being a database manager?
You'll Hate It If You ...
• Don't like numbers, graphs and analytical tools
• Don't like dealing with computers, software, and formulations
• Prefer working independently
• Don't feel comfortable leading a team or negotiating
If it sounds like a database manager could be a good path for you:
Connect with Rumie learners
Browse more content and join a supportive community! Browse more content, receive support, share your expertise, and keep learning through text and voice chat!
- Discord Member
This Byte has been authored by